Urban redevelopment in a megacity context (TLALNEPANTLA north of MEXICO-CITY)
As the first phase of a sustainable urban revitalization process, the municipality of Tlalnepantla (northern area of Mexico city) requested the International Society of city and regional planners (ISOCARP) to organize an Urban Planning Advisory Team (UPAT) to undertake an independent urban analysis and to articulate a clear urban vision for the integrated redevelopment of the central area of Tlalnepantla. The objectives of the UPAT were to evaluate the existing urban structure, urban infrastructure, mobility and services, from both local and metropolitan perspectives, and think 'out of the box' and propose an overall urban vision for the municipality, featuring more specific urban strategies and potential projects for Central Tlalnepantla.
- Strategic understanding of Tlalnepantla as a municipality within the conurbation of Greater Mexico City.
- Definition of broad metropolitan future scenarios, that determine strategic options.
- A more detailed exploration of the potential transformation of Central Tlalnepantla within the metropolitan future scenarios.
- Elaboration of major sectorial and urban themes (mobility, land use & landscape, urbanity & liveability, housing)
- Suggesting implementation and financing possibilities to help achieve objectives.
After signing the agreement on March 26th 2013, a mission, workshops and final presentation was carried out in May 2013. Joris SCHEERS was member of the international advisory team, together with Waikeen NG (Singapore), Jan BREDENOORD (Netherlands), Ramón GARCÍA BRAGADO (Spain), David GUGGENHEIM (Israel), Agnieszka KOWALEWSKA (Poland) and WANG Hongyang (China).
Joris’ contribution to the global vision for the central area was focused on urban mobility improvement strategies, part of the final document ‘Repensando La Tlalnepantla Central’.
Back to portfolio